BLINDDATA WEEKLY CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Void outside the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited by law. Sponsor’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Contest.
1. SPONSOR: The BlindData Weekly Contest (the “Contest”) is sponsored by Blind Data LLC (“Sponsor”), with an address at 54 West 40th Street, New York, NY, 10018.
2. CONTEST ENTRY PERIODS: The Contest is comprised of twelve (12) separate, weekly contests (each, a “Weekly Contest”), with the first Weekly Contest beginning on Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:00 AM Eastern Time (“ET”). Each Weekly Contest runs for seven (7) days, from the applicable Monday at 12:00 AM ET through the immediately following Sunday at 11:59 PM ET (each such period, a “Weekly Contest Period”).
3. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to legal U.S. residents residing in the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are at least eighteen (18) years of age or the age of majority in their respective jurisdictions of permanent residence at time of entry who: (a) have completed the Eligibility Assessment (as defined below) and obtained a Contest-Qualifying Score (as defined below) within six (6) months of the date of the entrant’s Contest Assessment (as defined below); and (b) are willing and able to travel to the Contest Assessment Location (as defined below, and usually in New York City) at entrant’s own expense. In addition, to be eligible to win any of the prizes described in these Official Rules, entrant must obtain a score of at least (x) 5.2 or above on the multiple choice section of the Contest Assessment, and (y) 5 or above on the coding section of the Contest Assessment (“Prize Qualifying Score”). Employees, officers, and directors of Sponsor or its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, representatives, consultants, contractors, legal counsel, advertising, public relations, promotional, fulfillment, and marketing agencies, website providers, and web masters, (collectively, the “Contest Entities”) and members of their immediate families (spouses, parents, siblings and children, regardless of where they live) and those living in the same household are not eligible to enter or win. Sponsor reserves the right to verify the eligibility of winners. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest.
4. TO ENTER:
a. Eligibility Assessment: To qualify to participate in the Contest, you must first take a thirty (30)-minute online Eligibility Assessment, available at www.blinddata.com/contest (“Contest Website”). The Eligibility Assessment has two parts (a) a twelve (12)-question multiple choice section, and (b) a coding assessment. You may use any computer and any one of the following programming languages to complete the Eligibility Assessment: (a) C++ (language version C++-11 GCC 5.4.0); (b) Java (language version 1.8.0_191); (c) Python (language version 3.5.2); or (iv) PHP (language version 7.0.32-0); from time to time, Sponsor in its sole discretion may add other language(s) that may be used to complete the Contest Assessment (each, a “Permitted Language”). If any new Permitted Languages are added, Sponsor will post notice of the addition on the Contest Website.
If, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, you achieve a score of 3.5 or above on the multiple choice section of the Eligibility Assessment and a 10 or above on the coding section of the Eligibility Assessment (together, a “Contest-Qualifying Score”), Sponsor will invite you to enter the Contest by participating in a subsequent in-person assessment (the “Contest Assessment”) (when described collectively with the Eligibility Assessment, the “Assessments”).
b. Contest Assessment: The Contest Assessment will take place at a location to be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion (the “Contest Assessment Location”).The Contest Assessment Location will typically be at Sponsor’s offices in New York City, however, from time to time, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, the Contest Assessment Location may be at another location. Only participants who achieve a Contest-Qualifying Score on the Eligibility Assessment will be eligible to enter a Weekly Contest and participate in the Contest Assessment. ALL EXPENSES FOR TRAVEL TO AND FROM THE CONTEST ASSESSMENT LOCATION ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF CONTEST ENTRANTS. For the avoidance of doubt, Sponsor will not pay for your travel, accommodations, meals, taxes, gratuities or other costs or expenses incurred in connection with your participation in the Contest Assessment.
If you are invited to enter the Contest, complete your entry by going to the Website and registering for a Contest Assessment scheduled to be administered during one of the Weekly Contest Periods, on a particular date and at a time of your choosing, from among the available time and date slots listed on the Website at the time you register. Next, participate in the Contest Assessment that you have chosen at the specified date and time at the designated Contest Assessment Location. The Contest Assessment lasts approximately three (3) hours and has: (a) a twenty (20)-question multiple choice section and (b) a coding section comprised of either three (3) or four (4) questions. You may complete the Contest Assessment using any one of the Permitted Languages, but you must use Sponsor’s computers at the Contest Assessment Location in order to complete the Contest Assessment on the date and time for which you have registered. Upon completion of the Contest Assessment, you will have completed your participation in the Contest.
Limit one (1) entry per person; you may only take each of the Assessments one (1) time during any six (6) month period, unless Sponsor grants you express written permission to do so, which shall be given only in Sponsor’s sole discretion and with good cause, e.g., in the case of a technical malfunction with the Contest Website, if a Contest Assessment is cancelled for any reason, or if problems arise with a Contest Assessment Location. Entrant must set up a profile with Sponsor on the Contest Website and provide all information Sponsor requires when registering for each of the Assessments, including, without limitation, first and last name and email address. All Assessments must be completed personally by participant. Entrant may be asked to answer optional questions and/or register for future notices of promotions by Sponsor or third parties, or sign up to be contacted by prospective employers; however, you need not answer these questions or agree to receive future communications from third parties in order to be eligible for entry in the Contest.
Participation in each of the Assessments require entrants to submit original strings of code (such strings of code referred to herein as “Submissions”). ALL Submissions:
MUST be the entrant’s original idea (modification of an original work is not an original idea). Submissions MUST NOT copy or otherwise plagiarize from any source.
MUST NOT contain material which is (or promote activities which are) in Sponsor’s sole discretion, hateful, slanderous, libelous, tortious, sexually explicit, obscene, pornographic, inappropriate, violent, self-mutilating (e.g., relating to murder, the sales of weapons, cruelty, abuse, etc.), discriminatory (based on race, sex, religion, natural origin, physical disability, sexual orientation or age), illegal (e.g., underage drinking, substance abuse, computer hacking, etc.), offensive, threatening, profane, or harassing; or contain material that is threatening to any person, place, business, group or world peace; or contain content or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group; or contain content portraying nudity, acts of violence, or acts that are or appear to be unlawful or dangerous or in violation of, or contrary to the laws or regulations in any state where the Submission is created in their application.
MUST NOT contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to material that violates privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement.
MUST NOT include mention or performance of any copyrighted media production.
By entering, each entrant warrants and represents that his/her entry is original, does not contain any material that would defame or otherwise violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including patents, copyrights, trademarks or rights of privacy or publicity, and will not violate any federal, state or local laws or ordinances. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and unfettered discretion to disqualify any entry that it believes does not comply with these Official Rules or that is not consistent with the spirit or theme of the Contest. Any attempt by any entrant to participate in the Assessments more than the permitted number of times by using multiple and/or different identities, forms, registrations, addresses or any other method may void all of that entrant’s Assessment scores and that entrant may be disqualified at Sponsor’s discretion. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same email address. Normal Internet, phone and usage charges imposed by your online or phone service may apply. Incomplete, illegible, corrupted, or untimely entries are void and will be disqualified. Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, stolen, misdirected, or illegible entries or assessments; lost, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, or other connections, including, but not limited to, at the Contest Assessment Location; or miscommunications, computer or software malfunctions, telephone transmission problems, technical failures, garbled transmissions, damage to a user’s computer equipment (software or hardware), or other errors or malfunctions of any kind, whether human, mechanical, electronic or otherwise, including, but not limited to errors and malfunctions caused by the Assessment software and the computers provided by Sponsor for participation in the Contest Assessment. Proof of registration or participation in an Assessment will not be deemed to be proof of receipt of the entrant’s Assessment score by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register for the Eligibility Assessment will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, Internet service provider, or other organization (which may include an employer) responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Entrant may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder, and may be required to show government-issued identification to verify identity and eligibility to participate in the Contest Assessment. Entries specifying an invalid, non-working, or inactive email address will be disqualified and ineligible to win.
5. SELECTION OF WINNER: Each Weekly Contest entrant will receive a score based on his/her performance in the Contest Assessment. For each Weekly Contest, Sponsor will determine the Grand Prize winner and any First and Second Prize winner(s) (as the case may be) based on entrants’ scores, as described in the “Prize” section below. In the event of a tied (i.e., identical) score among eligible potential Grand Prize winners, the entrant with the tied high-score who took the least amount of time to complete the coding assessment section of the Contest Assessment will be deemed the Grand Prize winner.
The potential Grand Prize winner will be notified of his or her selection via the e-mail address provided during Contest Assessment registration within one (1) week after the conclusion of that week’s Weekly Contest. First and Second Prize winners will be notified of their winning immediately after completing the Contest Assessment. Winning a Prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. If a potential Grand Prize winner does not respond within seventy-two (72) hours after the first attempt to notify him/her that he/she has been selected to receive the Grand Prize, that potential winner will be deemed to have forfeited the Grand Prize, and the entrant with the next highest Contest Assessment score will be selected as an alternate potential Grand Prize winner in his/her place. Any alternate potential Grand Prize winner will also have seventy-two (72) hours to claim the Prize, and must satisfy all eligibility requirements.
Except where legally prohibited, each potential Prize winner will be required to complete and return, on-site (in the case of potential First and Second Prize winners), or within seven (7) days of being notified (in the case of potential Grand Prize winners), a Declaration of Eligibility, Liability & Publicity Release in order to claim his/her Prize. Prize winners may also be required to complete and return an IRS Form W-9. If after the first attempt to contact him/her, or if he/she fails to sign and return the Declaration of Eligibility, Liability & Publicity Release, Form W-9 and/or any other documentation the Sponsor may require within the required time period (if applicable), or in the event that a potential Prize winner is disqualified for any reason, such potential winner will be deemed to have forfeited the Prize, and, in the case of the Grand Prize, the entrant with the next highest qualifying Contest Assessment score will be selected as an alternate potential Grand Prize winner. Noncompliance with the foregoing, failure to abide by these Official Rules, or return of the Prize notification as non-deliverable may result in disqualification and naming of an alternate potential winner. Only three (3) alternate Grand Prize winner selections will be made for each Weekly Contest, after which any remaining Prizes will remain un-awarded. As indicated above, if no entrant achieves a Prize Qualifying Score during one or more Weekly Contest Period, no Prizes will be awarded for the applicable Weekly Contest.
POTENTIAL PRIZE WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY SPONSOR, WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE CONTEST. AN ENTRANT IS NOT A WINNER OF ANY PRIZE UNLESS AND UNTIL ENTRANT’S ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN VERIFIED AND ENTRANT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED THAT VERIFICATION IS COMPLETE.
6. PRIZE: There are three (3) types of Prizes, the Grand Prize, First Prize, and Second Prize (each hereinafter referred to individually as a “Prize,” and collectively as “Prizes”). The Prizes are as follows:
Entrants who achieve a score between 6.5 and 7.4, inclusive, on the multiple choice section of the Contest Assessment, and 5 or above on the coding section of the Contest Assessment, will each receive a Prize of two hundred dollars ($200.00) (the “Second Prize”);
Entrants who achieve a score at or above 7.5 on the multiple choice section of the Contest Assessment, and 5 or above on the coding section of the Contest Assessment, will each receive a Prize of five hundred dollars ($500.00) (the “First Prize”);
One (1) entrant in each Weekly Contest who obtains the highest score at or above the Prize Qualifying Score in the Contest Assessment during that Weekly Contest Period will win the grand Prize of five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) (the “Grand Prize”). Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of Grand Prize: $5,000.
Total ARV of all Prizes to be awarded in each Contest will vary depending on the number of eligible multiple choice scores in any given Weekly Contest. Limit one (1) Prize per person. Accordingly, for example, if an entrant scores a 7.6 on the multiple choice and 6.2 in the coding section, and that entrant has the highest score for that Weekly Contest at the end of the Weekly Contest Period, that entrant will receive a total of $5,000, and not a total of $5,500. If that entrant has already received $500 as a result of being selected as a First Place Prize winner, that entrant will receive an additional $4,500 once entrant is confirmed as the Weekly Contest Grand Prize winner.
Additional Prize Information. All Prizes will be paid by Sponsor to winner via PayPal. Accordingly, in order for winner to claim his or her Prize, winner must register for a free PayPal account at www.paypal.com. Each winner’s use of PayPal is subject to PayPal’s terms and conditions in all respects.
PRIZE RESTRICTIONS: Any and all applicable federal, state, and local taxes and all fees and expenses related to acceptance and use of Prize are the responsibility solely of each Prize winner. Prize cannot be substituted, assigned, transferred, or redeemed for cash; however, Sponsor reserves the right to make equivalent Prize substitutions at its sole discretion. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen Prizes or components of a Prize, including if any Prize monies are lost or stolen via PayPal. Only the number of Prizes stated in these Official Rules is available to be won in the Contest. If, by reason of a print or other error, more Grand Prizes are claimed than the number set forth in these Official Rules, an alternate winner will be selected in accordance with the winner selection method described above from among all eligible claimants making purportedly valid claims to award the advertised number of Grand Prizes available.
7. GENERAL CONDITIONS: This Contest is governed by the laws of the United States. Void where prohibited by law and outside the United States. WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE, HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW, AND, SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO PROSECUTE AND SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Neither Sponsor nor anyone acting on its behalf will enter into any communications with any entrant regarding this Contest, except as expressly set forth in these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be attempting to tamper with or undermine the entry process, the website, and/or the legitimate operation of the Contest; to violate the Official Rules; or to act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person. Sponsor and its agents are not responsible for (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; or (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus or bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor, which corrupt or affect the operation, administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, void any suspect entries and (a) modify the Contest or suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; and/or (b) award the Prize from among the eligible, non-suspect entries received up to the time of the impairment in accordance with the winner selection criteria described above.
8. PUBLICITY; LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASES: BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, ENTRANT AGREES THAT SPONSOR AND ITS PARENT COMPANY, AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, REPRESENTATIVES, CONSULTANTS, CONTRACTORS, LEGAL COUNSEL, ADVERTISING, PUBLIC RELATIONS, PROMOTIONAL, FULFILLMENT AND MARKETING, WEBSITE PROVIDERS, WEB MASTERS, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AGENTS (THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY ENTRANTS AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURIES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, OR PROPERTY RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, MISUSE, OR USE OF THE PRIZE, ENTRY OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR IN ANY CONTEST RELATED ACTIVITY, OR ANY CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION OR INVASION OF PRIVACY OR PRIZE DELIVERY. THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANY PRIZE CANNOT BE AWARDED DUE TO CANCELLATIONS, DELAYS, OR INTERRUPTIONS DUE TO ACTS OF GOD, ACTS OF WAR, NATURAL DISASTERS, WEATHER, OR TERRORISM. BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, ENTRANT AGREES THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY INJURIES, DAMAGES, OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES TO PERSONS, INCLUDING DEATH, OR TO PROPERTY ARISING OUT OF ACCESS TO AND USE OF ANY WEBSITE, HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SUCH SITE.
EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW, PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST CONSTITUTES ENTRANT’S GRANT TO SPONSOR (WHICH GRANT WILL BE CONFIRMED IN WRITING ON REQUEST OF SPONSOR), AND THE RELEASED PARTIES THE RIGHT AND PERMISSION TO PRINT, PUBLISH, BROADCAST, AND USE, WORLD WIDE IN ANY MEDIA NOW KNOWN OR HEREAFTER DEVELOPED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WORLD WIDE WEB, AT ANY TIME OR TIMES, THE ENTRANT’S NAME, PORTRAIT, PICTURE, VOICE, LIKENESS, OPINIONS AND BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO HOMETOWN AND STATE) FOR ADVERTISING, TRADE, AND PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF HIS OR HER NAME ON TELEVISION OR RADIO BROADCAST) WITHOUT ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATION, COMPENSATION, PERMISSION, OR NOTIFICATION.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING REGARDING THIS CONTEST, INCLUDING ANY WEBSITE, HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES, ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY. CHECK LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
9. NATURE OF RELATIONSHIP/WAIVER OF EQUITABLE RELIEF: Each entrant understands and acknowledges that Sponsor has wide access to ideas, designs, and other materials, and that new ideas are constantly being submitted to it or being developed by its own employees. Each entrant also acknowledges that many ideas may be competitive with, similar or identical to the Submission and/or each other in theme, idea, format or other respects. Each entrant acknowledges and agrees that such entrant will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of Sponsor’s use of any such similar or identical material. Each entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Sponsor does not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of the copyright in and to the Submission. Finally, each entrant acknowledges that, with respect to any claim by entrant relating to or arising out of Sponsor’s actual or alleged exploitation or use of any Submission or other material submitted in connection with the Contest, the damage, if any, thereby caused to the applicable entrant will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle such entrant to seek injunctive or other equitable relief or in any way enjoin the production, distribution, exhibition or other exploitation of the Submission or any material based on or allegedly based on the Submission, and the entrant’s rights and remedies in any such event shall be strictly limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law.
10. DISPUTES: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any Prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York or the appropriate State Court located in New York; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York.
12. OFFICIAL RULES; WINNERS LIST: For a copy of these Official Rules, visit www.blinddata.com/contest. For a list of winners, visit the www.blinddata.com/contest/winners.
Copyright ©2019 Blind Data LLC. BlindData® and other logos or trademarks listed herein are trademarks of Blind Data LLC and/or other companies in the United States and other countries. All rights reserved.